Children looking for adventure combined with art should check out the Mann Art Gallery this summer.
© Herald file photo
Children at the Mann Gallery Summer Art Adventures camp show off their masks they created to look like pharaohs on last year.
The gallery has already planned their themed morning summer camps for children age seven to 12.
“They are all different themes every week,” assistant educator Julie Mills said. “We have something very different every week, everything from space and robots to an environmentally friendly art week. We try to keep them mixed up, with a variety of things like sculpture and drawing and games and stuff like that.”
She said it is a great way to get the community involved in the art gallery.
“We do school tours throughout the year for school kids, so they can come in and do little crafts, so this is kind of a furthering of that,” Mills said.
She said not only is it easier to plan a themed week, it is more fun for the children involved.
“I guess it can just attract the attention of different interests in kids -- so if you are more into water animals and stuff we have a deep sea adventure one and then is a superhero one,” Mills said. “It gives them options of what they want to do -- they can pick which camp they want to do.”
Unlike regular art classes, that focus on technique and skills, the gallery also incorporates many summer camp elements too, such as games surrounding art and crafts.
“It is focused on fun -- It is kind of tough, depending on the age group, but it is mix of technical lessons but also a lot of awesome crafts that you maybe wouldn’t do at school,” she said. “Everyone at the gallery is an artist themselves -- we try to get creative with the projects we do.”
In past years, the children have enjoyed the theme weeks and the activities surrounding them.
“I guess you can get really messy, because you are not at home and your mom doesn’t have to clean up, so that is one fun thing,” Mills laughed. “We’ve just got a lot of supplies, so you can do a lot of crafts that maybe you couldn’t do at home.
“The community, we put out a letter to our members asking for donations and stuff like that, so we have massive amounts of toilet paper rolls and things like that to do all kinds of crafts.”
Theme weeks at the Mann Art Gallery
There are six different summer camps planned throughout the summer at the Mann Art Gallery:
• July 7-11 is Adventure Time. This camp gives kids non-stop excitement where they can seek out new lands, battle robots and make out-of-this-world creations. $100
•July 14-17 is World Explorers. During this week, children visit different cultures around the world in the safety of the gallery. $80
• July 21-25 is Deep Sea Adventures. Day campers will discover new plants, animals and creatures through water-themed creations while exploring all sorts of art forms and maybe battle off pirates. $100
• July 28-August 1 is Spectacular Circus. There is no need to breathe fire of stand on your head to join. Kids will create circus acts using all kinds of art supplies, puppetry and storytelling. $100
• August 5-8 is Nature Seekers. During this week, campers will discover how to make art out of things in the backyard. They will use recyclable materials to make creatures, crafts and experiments. $80
• August 11-15 is Superheroes week. Leaders will help kids find their inner super power while constructing secret identities and supernatural art projects. $100