That is the sound of the Prince Albert Raiders coming crashing back to reality as they were soundly beaten 9-0 by the Moose Jaw Warriors in Western Hockey League action on Sunday.
âIt was tough,â says Raidersâ head coach Steve Young. âObviously, it was a game we were disappointed in the way we played. They scored some timely goals and that just set us back on our heels.â
After starting the season 7-0-0-1, the Raiders are now mired in a two-game losing skid as the Portland Winter Hawks handed them their first regulation-time loss with a 5-2 decision in Prince Albert on Friday.
âThat first loss against Portland was tough because we did a lot of things that were right,â said Young. âThe second one was an eye opener. It brought us back to reality.â
Sam Fioretti was the main Moose Jaw weapon as he scored three times and set up two others. Justin Kirsch, with two, Jordan Wyton, Brayden Point, Carter Hansen and Joel Edmonson also scored for the Warriors, who fired 32 shots at the Raider tandem of Luke Siemens and Andy Desautels.
Siemens, who starred for Moose Jaw last year before being dealt to Prince Albert in the offseason, was roughed up for four goals on just 13 shots before being pulled in favour of Desautels.
Prince Albert, with 24 players on their roster, continued to rotate players in and out of the line-up with Mackenzie Stewart, Zach Hodder, Chance Braid and Joey Santucci sitting out Saturdayâs game. Hodder is still on the mend from an upper-body injury suffered in the second game of the season while the other three were all victims of the numbers game.
The Raiders will now play nine of their next 10 games at the Art Hauser Centre including a Tuesday match-up with the Tri-Cities Americans. Prince Albert is going to have to regroup in a hurry from the lopsided loss as the Americans are coming in on a two-game winning streak to start their tour of the East Division, including a 5-0 triumph over the Warriors in Moose Jaw on Sunday.
Tuesdayâs game will be the second Las Vegas Night promotion as any fan 21 years of age or older is eligible to enter a draw for a trip for two to Las Vegas. The promotion, which will be held during every Tuesday and Wednesday home game this year, includes return airfare from Saskatoon and two nights of accommodation.