The death of Jim Flaherty was a shock for Canadians on Thursday.
But sadly, people are taken from us every day. Here are some others who died recently, young and old, famous and obscure.
• Ben Van Houten, 39, was the father of Michigan's first surviving set of sextuplets, who are now 10. He died on Wednesday evening after setting up a trampoline in his yard and was playing with his children when the heart attack occurred.
• Mary Cheever, 95, was an author and poet best known as the enduring spouse and widow of John Cheever. She died on Monday.
• Joe Aquilino, a New York horse trainer whose 58-1 shot Badge finished third at the 1999 Preakness, died on Wednesday.
• Lacey Holsworth, 8, a young cancer victim who became close with the Michigan State basketball team, died on Tuesday.
• James Hellwig, 54, changed to name to Warrior after starring in the WWE as the wrestler the Ultimate Warrior, died a day after being inducted into the organization’s hall of fame on Monday.
• Edmond Harjo, 96, was one of the last surviving Native American code talkers before a heart attack killed him on March 31.
Prince Albert Daily Herald