© Daily Herald staff
The publication ban has been lifted in the Marlene Bird case.
The decision was made in Prince Albert Provincial Court on Tuesday morning after Bird and her family asked that it be lifted.
It was initially put in place last week.
“Her mom and I just didn’t want her to be another stat and just forgotten,” her aunt Lorna Thiessen said after the brief hearing.
The decision took just a couple of minutes as the family’s wishes were made known and neither the Crown nor the defence objected.
While much of the coverage was kept from Bird for the first two weeks when she couldn’t talk, she is now seeing what is being written and broadcast.
“She’s been reading it all and she has TV in her room and has been watching it all,” Thiessen said. “She’s really upbeat and said don’t let this go. Be my voice.”
Bird will likely be in Edmonton hospital for a couple of weeks before being moved to the burn unit in Saskatoon. She will also do rehab there to adjust to life without legs, an effort already being helped by War Amps.
“She’s very upbeat. She’s glad to be alive,” Thiessen said.
Bird hopes to speak to the media herself soon but her family had their own message to deliver on Tuesday morning.
“I really thank the Daily Herald for getting on it right away,” Thiessen said. “I asked them not to put it on Page 20 where they would forget it and they promised me that they would and they followed it all the way through,”
“We’re really glad the Daily Herald is doing it because as a result other media have seen it and called me from across Canada.”
Fundraising and awareness efforts have been launched across the country as awareness grew about the assault.
Leslie Black, 29, has been charged with attempted murder and aggravated sexual assault in relation to the attack, which took place on June 1.
He’s next in court for a bail hearing on July 16 at 10 a.m. in Courtroom 2 at Prince Albert Provincial Court, which is located beside the E.A. Rawlinson Centre.