Marlene Bird well on the road to recovery

Tyler Clarke
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Marlene Darlene Bird, 47. 

Speaking clearly and cognizant of her surroundings, Marlene Bird is “upbeat and positive” about her recovery, aunt Lorna Thiessen described.


Bird has been in hospitals for almost a month, since a June 1 assault in downtown Prince Albert left her with life-threatening injuries.

After numerous surgeries and the amputation of both of her legs, Bird isn’t out of the woods yet, although her situation has improved drastically.

Initially silenced by tubes that ran down her throat, Bird has been speaking for about a week, Thiessen said on Friday.

“She’s very cognitive of what’s going on and what has happened,” Thiessen said.

“She understands that she will live without her normal legs, and we told her about prostheses and all the other stuff, and all the fundraising that are going on.”

Her face, which was badly cut on June 1 and sutured shortly thereafter in Saskatoon, is “healing really well and looks good,” Thiessen said.

Bird faces another few weeks at the University of Alberta hospital in Edmonton and various surgeries on her back and buttocks.

After that, she’ll head to a rehabilitation clinic for a few weeks where she’ll learn how to manoeuvre without her legs. A psychologist will also be made available to her at that point, Thiessen said.  

From there, she’ll head to Saskatoon to finish off her hospital stay to make sure she remains on the mend.

After that is too far into the future for Bird to have considered, Thiessen said, noting that at this point she’s taking it one step at a time.

Although aware of her surroundings and medical state, Thiessen has only been able to share bits and pieces about the national attention her case has received for fear of overwhelming her.

She’s very cognitive of what’s going on and what has happened. Lorna Thiessen

“I write a daily log for her on what has happened, so when she does leave the hospital and she’s medically free, so to speak, and she’s ready I’ll give her the log with the story of what happened right from Day 1 right until the day she left the hospital,” Thiessen said.

Thanks in large part to the influx of donations that Bird and her family has received, she is well-positioned for success in the days following her hospital stay, Thiessen said.

Donations continue to come in at the Prince Albert YWCA and at a Royal Bank of Canada trust fund the family set up last week.

The YWCA continues to accept letters of support for Marlene Bird, at 1895 Central Ave., S6V 4W8, which continue to be mailed out to Edmonton on a weekly basis.

Various fundraisers and walks/marches have sprung up throughout the country, including an event scheduled to have taken place on Friday at the Scarboro United Church in Calgary.

City police have offered few updates on Bird’s June 1 assault. The person(s) responsible remain at large, with police encouraging anyone with information to contact them at 306-953-4222. Tips can also be made anonymously through Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Organizations: Prince Albert, University of Alberta, Royal Bank of Canada Scarboro United Church Crime Stoppers

Geographic location: Saskatoon, Edmonton, Calgary

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • pat doyle
    June 30, 2014 - 00:10

    Thank God! I have been sick with anxiety, worrying that you may not ever recover. You don't know me Marlene, but you have been in my prayers, take good care.

  • Josephina
    June 28, 2014 - 15:25

    Great news for Marlene! Way to go Marlene many thoughts & prayers are with you! So glad to hear that many caring Cdns are stepping up with donations. (And I'm hoping that the devil beasts that did this awful thing to Marlene will be caught and thrown into the nearest lions' den!)