The Amazing Race coming to Prince Albert

Matt
Matt Gardner
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Local fans of television program The Amazing Race will be able to enjoy a similar experience on home turf later this year.

Daily Herald

An organizing committee is currently seeking sponsors, participants and pit stop locations for The Amazing Race Prince Albert, which is set to take place in the downtown area on Sept. 13.

Hosted by Big Brothers Big Sisters Prince Albert and the Prince Albert Team 4 Hope, the race seeks to raise money and increase awareness for the two organizations.

While 60 per cent of the proceeds will go to Big Brothers Big Sisters -- which promotes youth development through mentoring relationships -- the remaining 40 per cent will go towards Team 4 Hope cancer research into neuroblastoma, a childhood cancer that most often affects children under two years old.

One of the main organizers of The Amazing Race Prince Albert is Team 4 Hope member Janna Anderson, who has some experience in that area.

“I’m a creator of Amazing Races as a personal sort of income thing on the side,” Anderson noted. “I’ve done it for many local groups.

“Big Brothers in a city in the States had done an Amazing Race, so we were talking about doing an Amazing Race.”

The resulting partnership seeks to fully utilize the talents of both parties.

“I have the skill of creating the race (and) the Big Brothers has the skill of creating the fundraising,” Anderson said. “So the purpose is to raise money and to have fun, and also promote our local downtown businesses.”

As part of the race, forty teams of two will race across the downtown district seeking to perform tasks at 20 local businesses that will serve as pit stops.

Positions on the race route for participating businesses will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis.

“We’re just getting started,” Anderson said. “We had a meeting with the Downtown Business Association on Wednesday, just to put it out there -- ‘We’re going to do this in your space, let the people know’ -- and then we’re going to go business to business and the first 20 businesses that offer their space for the race will be in the race.”

The purpose is to raise money and to have fun, and also promote our local downtown businesses. Janna Anderson

Aside from businesses that will be part of the race itself, the committee is also actively seeking sponsors, for which four levels are available through cash or in-kind donations.

The highest level is The Amazing Race Sponsor, for which a $5,000 donation entitles the donor to naming rights for the event, corporate logos on various items related to the event, recognition in social media posts and all press releases and a complimentary team in the race.

Other levels include Race Sponsor for a $3,000 donation, Water Sponsor for a $1,000 donation and Challenge Sponsor for $500 donation.

Meanwhile, teams interested in joining the race may register for the event online.

“It’s a great opportunity to team-build,” Anderson said.

“If you have something going at work, you want to get your workers in a team-building event, this is great.”

Points will be awarded to competing teams in a variety of categories, such as team costume and team spirit.

Teams may achieve victory in the race by finishing first or by raising the most money through pledges, among other means.

With three prizes available to teams, the biggest is a Westjet flight for two to any destination the company travels -- a trip valued at approximately $2,000.

Those interested in signing up as a team in The Amazing Race Prince Albert may contact Big Brothers Big Sisters P.A. event fundraising co-ordinator Allyson Wall at 306-922-1299 or email allyson.wall@bigbrothersbigsisters.ca for more information.

Organizations: Big Brothers Big Sisters, Downtown Business Association, Amazing Race Sponsor Water Sponsor Challenge Sponsor

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments