City hopes for best but prepares for worst after water main breaks

Jason Kerr
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

The city of Prince Albert says they aren’t sure whether to expect more water main problems this year, but they’re preparing just in case.

The city announced last Friday that they were opening the Kinsmen Water Park shower facilities to those whose homes were affected by the record number of frozen service lines and water main breaks this spring.

“We noticed over the last couple of weeks when all of our frozen services really started to appear.  (It) also correlated with when we had some warming occur,” director of public works Colin Innes says.  “We have had some warm days and that’s when all of a sudden we started to get all these people calling.”

In total 39 water main breaks have occurred this spring, and 94 frozen service lines have been reported. 

It will take city crews a minimum of three weeks to finish working on the existing problems.  Innes says they’re not sure what to expect after that, but they’re going to prepare for the worst.

“The real jump in numbers was correlated with it starting to warm again,” he says.  “That’s where we thought, well, let’s get something set up here so we’re ready for it, should it happen.”

Innes says so far not many people have taken advantage of the service, but the Kinsmen will still be open, regardless.

“If it turns out that the services aren’t required, it’s always something that we can discontinue doing,” Innes says.  “It’s just we thought that we wanted to be ready for it should we have a sudden demand.”

Geographic location: Kinsmen Water Park

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments