© Herald photo by Perry Bergson
Public works director Colin Innes tells council that insurance coverage will be examined in figuring out how to pay for damages to the Shellbrook overpass, at this weekâs executive committee meeting.
The Shellbrook overpass on Highway 2 north of Prince Albert has sustained a beating in recent months, and the city is looking at SGI to pay for damages.
First, there was a fatal single vehicle collision with an overpass pillar on Dec. 26, 2012, and then an over height load damaged eight of its nine girders on Oct. 30, 2013.
These two incidents damaged the bridge to the tune of about $137,000, manager of capital planning Scott Golding wrote in a report to council.
This money âshould be reimbursable from SGI,â he wrote, adding that additional work may be reimbursable through the provincial governmentâs Urban Highway Connector Program.
Last year, Dionne pledged that the city would become âvery aggressive with the insurance company.â
At the time, Dionne announced that the city was awarded $46,000 from SGI for damages related to a motorist striking a fire hydrant on the corner of Central Avenue and 14th Street.
The cityâs intent with the Shellbrook overpass is to bring it back to its original state, Dionne said at this weekâs meeting.
The fatal single vehicle collision created âquite the fireball,â public works director Colin Innes said, adding that aside from cosmetic damage itâs unclear if the collision resulted in any structural damage.
âItâd be nice to get a sandblaster out there and get the burn mark off the pillar,â Dionne noted.
In addition to affecting the city, weight restrictions placed on the overpass following the Oct. 30 over height load incident affect the Prince Albert Pulp Millâs power generation plant, Paper Excellence vice president of operations Dale Paterson told the Daily Herald in January.
Instead of getting biomass material from the west, the weight restrictions forced crews to get the material from the Carrot River area to the east, driving up costs for the material by 20 to 25 per cent.
The court case centred on the damage that the Shellbrook overpass sustained on Oct. 30, 2013, will continue next month, with the case adjourned until April 1 at 9:30 a.m. in Prince Albert Provincial Court.
Eagle Creek Contracting and Darren Smith have each been charged with one violation of the Traffic Safety Act and three violations of the Highway Transportation Act.
They include failing to notify and provide relevant information to those affected by an accident, causing damage to a public improvement, two counts of operating a vehicle exceeding the maximum dimensions for a public highway, and three counts of contravening weight and dimension specifications.