The Prince Albert Police Service is reminding the public to secure their homes if they will be away for an extended period of time.
Houses should not only be secure, but should appear to be lived in. Among other prevention tips:
- Lock all windows, doors, garages and sheds before leaving.
- Leave a radio or television playing to indicate someone is home.
- Leave one or two lights on, preferably operated by timers that turn on depending on darkness levels.
- Discontinue mail and newspaper deliveries, or arrange to have someone pick up any that are left on your step.
- Leave a key with someone you trust and have them check on your residence frequently.
- Arrange to have someone maintain the exterior if you plan to be away for several days, such as shovelling the walk or driveway.
- Let someone you trust know how long you will be away and how you can be contacted if necessary
- Install an alarm system in your residence.