Through the weekend, Parkland Ambulance paramedics responded to eight incidents where seniors fell.
A press release indicates that there can be many reasons for a fall, ranging from tripping over an object to medical related problems.
Parkland Ambulance cautions people to take caution to prevent falls, which may include some of the following; get up slowly to prevent light-headedness, grab rails in bathrooms, install night lights, wear good flat-soled shoes in the house, remove loose mats and carpet, limit clutter, use a cordless phone so you don’t rush to answer it in another room, and simply slow down and give yourself extra time to do things.
In addition to the falls, the following incidents were reported within the weekend’s 68 calls for service.
• Quad rollover about 40 kilometres toward Dore Lake, where at about 6:30 p.m. paramedics cared for a 37-year-old man for injuries. He was taken to hospital fur further care.
• Assault in the 1200 block of 13th Street West had paramedics out at about 10:30 p.m. on Friday. A 13-year-old girl was treated for minor injuries and taken to hospital fur further care.
• Serious injuries were reported in an assault in the 800 block of Seventh Street East on Saturday at about 2 a.m. A 35-year-old man was treated for serious injuries and taken to hospital fur further care, where he remains in good and stable condition.
• Chain saw incident injured a 53-year-old man in the Emma Lake area at about 2:30 p.m. on Saturday. He was taken by ambulance to hospital in good condition for further care.
• Minor injuries were reported in a late afternoon assault in the 3500 block of Second Avenue West on Saturday. The incident took place at about 5:30 p.m., affecting a 26-year-old man who was taken to hospital for further care.
• Car versus wildlife collision on Highway 2 north of Prince Albert near Red Wing resulted in no injuries to a 30-year-old male driver at about 6:30 p.m. on Saturday.
• Minor injuries were reported in an assault at Sturgeon Lake Reserve at about 12:45 a.m. on Sunday. A 24-year-old man was treated and taken to Victoria Hospital for further care.
• Assault in the 1200 block of Second Avenue West resulted in minor injuries to a 59-year-old man on Sunday at about 4:45 a.m. He was taken to hospital for further care.