It was quite a shock for Violet Aubichon when a not so itsy-bitsy spider came crawling out from a bag of bananas in her kitchen.
About to have an evening snack with her daughter, Aubichon went to grab a banana from a bunch that she had recently purchased from a local retailer. She was surprised when a large, white ball fell out of the bag.
“I pushed it on the cupboard and it started moving,” Aubichon said. “I picked up the bananas and the spider was right there. So I grabbed the first thing I could find, which was a can of Pledge and I just sprayed it and sprayed it until I killed it. My daughter was yelling ‘mom stand back, it’s going to jump on you.’ I don’t know why I grabbed the Pledge but I did.”
The “white ball” that Aubichon first spotted were the spider’s eggs.
Aubichon did not know for certain what type of spider it was, but thinks it could have been a Brazilian wandering spider.
The Brazilian wandering spider is more commonly known as the banana spider, as they are known to seek refuge in bunches of bananas. It is one of the few types of spiders that are harmful to humans, with venom that is poisonous and potentially deadly.
“I couldn’t sleep all night, I was traumatized.” Aubichon said. “It could have bit me, it could have got out of the bag and bit us both.”
Aubichon says that she will be taking the bananas back to the store to show them what she found, and warn them to look out for other spiders.
“I know it’s not their fault, the spider came from wherever the bananas were imported,” Aubichon said, mentioning that she won’t be seeking any sort of compensation from the store.
Aubichon says that she has never had a fear of spiders before, but this incident has triggered one.
“I’m just terrified. This morning, I didn’t want to even wipe my cupboards, in case there was another one around. I love bananas but after this experience I don’t think I’ll eat or buy bananas for a long time.”