Originally called a suspicious death, Prince Albert Police are now calling a stabbing that took place early Monday morning a homicide.
© Herald photo by Tyler Clarke
Law enforcement officials map out the area of a homicide on Monday -- a northwest parking lot off of the intersection of Second Avenue West and 15th Street.
During a press conference on Tuesday, Sgt. Curtis Halcro revealed various details investigators had approved the release of, including the victim’s name -- Davis David Broussie, 25, of Black Lake.
Police responded to the 200 block of 15th Street West at about 1 a.m. on Monday, where they found Broussie unconscious in a parking lot.
Transported to hospital by Parkland Ambulance, Broussie later died as a result of injuries he sustained during the incident.
“The investigation revealed that a stabbing did take place, however the exact cause of death is to be determined by the Office of the Coroner,” Halcro said.
An autopsy was scheduled to take place on Tuesday, with a decision on whether to make the results public a decision of the Office of the Coroner, Halcro said.
Police are still trying to piece together what exactly took place at the scene of the homicide, Halcro said, encouraging anyone with information to phone Prince Albert Police Service at 306-953-4222.
So far, police have learned that those involved arrived at the scene in a vehicle, although Halcro currently can’t say how many people were involved or whether there are any known suspects.
The stabbing was not a random attack, Halcro said.
The investigation revealed that a stabbing did take place, however the exact cause of death is to be determined by the Office of the Coroner. Sgt. Curtis Halcro
“We could rule out that it was a gang-related thing, but I don’t really have any further details,” he said.
Investigators from the Criminal Investigation Division and Forensic Identification Section were on the scene Monday morning, placing cones and photographing the site.
By Tuesday morning, businesses adjacent to the crime scene had re-opened.
“We did canvass quite extensively, and we did receive some information from not only some of the local businesses but some citizens that happened to be in the area at the time,” Halcro said, reiterating his request for information from the public.
He noted that any information gathered from the public would be helpful to the ongoing investigation.
The Daily Herald will follow this story as it develops. With the investigation ongoing, police aren’t able to immediately share all of the information they’ve gathered.
Aside from Prince Albert’s first homicide of the year, Halcro reported that the weekend was a “fairly quiet” one for police, with the majority of calls for service related to disturbances and loud parties.