Pre-demolition survey of stranded MV Miner expected to happen Monday

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

SCATERIE ISLANDS, N.S. - After more than a month of delay work could start this week on dismantling a ship that's been stranded off Cape Breton for almost a year now.

Chris Conohan, the lawyer for the company in charge of dismantling the MV Miner says he's been told a pre-demolition site survey will happen Monday.

Conohan says the New York-based Bennington Group needs the survey for insurance purposes, but getting both the provincial and federal governments to sign off on pre-existing environmental conditions has been a challenge.

The vessel ran aground on Scaterie Island on Sept. 20, 2011, while being towed to a scrapyard in Turkey.

Removal of the 230-metre bulk carrier was expected to start last week after more than a month of delays but so far, there's been no progress.

The Bennington Group's provincial authority to remove the ship is set to expire at the end of this month.

Organizations: Bennington Group

Geographic location: SCATERIE ISLANDS, Cape Breton, Turkey

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments