The building’s roof collapsed last month, putting a stop to a number of activities for the unforeseeable future.
John Beaulac, Red River Roping and Riding Club president, said the decision had been taken by the board last week before being approved Tuesday night.
“Our board came to that decision mostly because of all the work we had put into that building,” he said, noting that the structure is 40 years old. “We knew what it would cost us to repair it, and we felt that putting more money into that building wasn’t a good idea.”
Tuesday also served as an opportunity to organize for a replacement building, which would be built at the same site.
“We’ve set up a design committee to see if we need or want the same facility or if we want something a little different,” Beaulac said, noting that as a non-profit, the club wants to make sure the next facility is sustainable.
Stating clearly that it is still a hypothetical number, Beaulac said the club believes it can raise between $500,000 and $600,000.
“Everybody is on the consensus that we would love to have a building so we don’t miss a season -- so we don’t miss next winter -- but everything will have to fall into place for that to happen,” Beaulac said. “I think that’s part of the reason to make that decision to demolish as quickly as we did.”
An engineer’s examination report of the building has not yet been submitted.
“We’re still waiting to see what his findings will be, and that’s why we’re still waiting as far as for insurance,” Beaulac said. “His report will go the adjuster and to the insurance company and a copy will come to us.”
However, the club chose to demolish the building, regardless of whether it is covered by insurance or not, according to Beaulac.
“We’re making our decision based on what we know on our building, not on whether we’re covered by insurance or not,” he said.
So far, the proposed way of demolishing the building has been to burn it.
Currently, Buckland Fire and Rescue is using the facility as a training ground. The demolition will be co-ordinated with the fire department.
With many variables, it is uncertain when the demolition will take place, according to Fire Chief Jim Miller.
“We still have to work through environmental concerns like the shingles, windows and any kind of plastics we have to deal with,” he said. “If we can meet the proper requirements and get the demolition permit from the municipality, then we can go ahead and try to put this forth.”
As well, the timing has not yet been thoroughly discussed, according to Miller.
“We haven’t really gone too far past the idea of training in it, so I haven’t talked to the president or any of the directors in detail about the timing and when they think they can have things ready,” he said.
“Just to burn it itself is quite an undertaking, because conditions have to be right,” Miller continued. “People have to be available, because we have to make sure there is the exact wind direction.
“It depends on mother nature. We need at least a foot of snow cover on everything, so it’s not a fire hazard and we’ve got to make sure that it’s not a smoke hazard either.”