The Prince Albert Fire Department responded to a structure fire at the Kentucky Fried Chicken at 22nd Street and Sixth Avenue East at 3 a.m. Friday morning.
© Herald file photo
Herald file photo
Battalion chief Corey Rodgers said nine staff were deployed, along with two pumps and a command vehicle. The restaurant was closed and no one was injured.
‚ÄúCity police must have been driving by and it was quite visible, so they called us,‚ÄĚ Rodgers said. ‚ÄúThey have the big glass windows there and you could see the smoke.‚ÄĚ
One of the restaurant‚Äôs drink machines in the kitchen area by the drive-thru window had caught on fire. It‚Äôs currently unknown how the fire occurred.
‚ÄúI‚Äôm assuming there was a malfunction, but our investigators, I believe, will be up there having a look at it,‚ÄĚ Rodgers said.
Crews switched the power to the machine off and pulled it away from the wall to extinguish the fire. While the fire was contained to the area, it had the potential to spread, according to Rodgers.
‚ÄúThere was some smoke damage and flames that made contact with the wall just behind the machine,‚ÄĚ he said. ‚ÄúHad it been left unnoticed, we probably could have had a much more severe issue.‚ÄĚ